Sunday, August 21, 2011

''ON GUARD THERE MARINE''

The Marine guard....

When I went aboard the ''Norton'' I already knew a lot of things about the Navy that my dad had told me. One thing he neglected to tell me was about the BRIG. I guess because he was never in the BRIG and it didn't take long to figure out that I never wanted to be in the Brig..

For you ''civies'' the BRIG is Navy for Jail.... On the Norton the Marines were in charge of the Brig and they were not rally nice guys if you happened to be a prisoner. Here is my story.....
I was walking down a passage way (hallway) going aft (toward the back) to buy a carton of ''sea store'' (tax free) smokes. Along this passageway you have hatches (doors) about every 30 feet as I recall. As I walked along I noticed a person coming toward me with BRIG stenciled on his hat, shirt, and pants. Behind him in close order was a Marine guard with a night stick, 45 pistol and helmet. The Marine carried the night stick in his hand the 45 in a holster and the helmet pulled down in front about one finger off the bridge of his nose and I could hardly see his eyes. This prisoner came even with the hatch and stopped placing his right hand on the bulkhead (wall) beside the hatch.
''SIR..... THE PRISONER REQUEST PERMISSION TO PASS THRU ONE HATCH WAY SIR''........... You could have heard this prisoner up on the bow of the ship....... Holly cat stuff........ I plastered myself against the bulkhead.... (wall) .......
''PRISONER....... I DID NOT HEAR YOU AND I AM SURE THAT ''BOOT'' (new guy) DIDN'T HEAR YOU EITHER...... SPEAK UP PRISONER''..................................
The prisoner repeated his request in a even louder voice and the Marine guard leaned forward and whispered to him that was better and he had permission to pass.
I had become part of the paint on the bulkhead and tried to make myself invisible ......... When they passed me I bolted aft like a rabbit that was just shot at. From that moment on I made sure that I did not get caught doing anything that would send me to the BRIG......

So it went on the ''Norton'' a thousand miles from nothin'...... steaming in a circle....
Seajay the sailor man....
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND BRING THEM HOME SOON AND SAFE
GOD BLESS OUR VETS FOR THEIR SERVICE TO THIS GREAT NATION...

No comments:

Post a Comment