Sunday, August 21, 2011

POPPA WAS A GOLDEN SHELL BACK

Yep, there are many more like calling someone a ''tack line''. That is six feet of ''empty line'' '' without a flag'' used between some of the flags on the signal bridge or ''six feet of nothing''....... and we use to call them ''fudging airdales''. This was a generally accepted term. And lets not forget the famous ''Short Arm Inspections'' and I will not say what that term means cause we got ''ladies present''........lol.....
I can not say for sure but I think my father was a Golden Shellback. He was Navy, WW2, South Pacific theater, combat veteran and he would tell me that he got so far from home that he started to get ''closer to home'' the further he went. He crossed the equator and the IDL but I am not sure if it was the same day. I have his certificate somewhere, I think.
''Big Eyes'' were the post mounted 300X binoculars one the Signal Bridge. and ''$8!t can'' was generally accepted term for '' trash can'' and ''bitch box'' was our P.A. system. I was lucky when I went aboard the Norton because my father had taught me a lot of the Navy jargon. It was kinda of a hoot to see some ''Boot'' come aboard ''fresh'' out of boot camp and watch him try to follow the old salts conversation.
Note to Wayne the Marine. I went for another series of tests where they put ''radio active stuff'' in my blood and then take x ray pix of my chest while it is ''pumped thru'' my gizzard . I go back to the ''saw bones'' on the eighth of this month for final decision as to whether it will be a ''Defibrillator'' or a Pace Maker or just give me a 9 volt battery to chew on occasionally. Either way, I aint worried about it and if I ''punch out'' you can bet your sweet ''ace'' that this old salt has lived more life and been more places and seen more things and done more things and ''laid more pipe'' than most any three people you know. ''Nuff Said'' on that ......lol...
The nurse said if I got a ''pace'' or a ''defib'' that I would have about a month of down time where I cant lift anything over 10 pounds. Whatever they decide, is what I will do cause I want to live long enough to ''piss some folks off real bad''......lol.... I will let you know my schedule and maybe we can get together in Maine or somewhere and swap some sea stories. I think that would be fun.
God keep our troops safe and bring them home soon....
God bless our vets .....ALL GAVE SOME .... SOME GAVE ALL.....
Seajay the sailor man.......

No comments:

Post a Comment