Saturday, August 20, 2011

YOU ARE A MARINE AINT YOU FELLA

NOVEMBER 11, VETERANS DAY.......


I hit the bridge up on Lenore Ryan Boulevard today. The weather was nice and I parked on the north side of the bridge and carried my flag to the center of the bridge. With the pole extended I unfurled Her to the breeze and started waving the Flag to the passing cars and trucks on I-40. The response was almost immediate. Cars and trucks honking and blinking their lights and lots of ''thumbs up'' and high signs and military salutes from all the passing traffic. The people on the Boulevard would also honk and wave and salute the colors as they passed. It was amazing the number of people that took my picture. (actually kinda embarrassing in a way) Anyhow, I would wave the flag till my arms would ache and then I would stand it at ''Attention'' beside me and rest for a few minutes and then start all over again. I would sometimes watch the traffic on the Boulevard and I could not help but notice a SUV loaded with what I thought were soldiers in desert camo uniform. They drove by me on the inside lane and gave me a good ''lookin over'' and several of them saluted the colors. They went to the end of the bridge and pulled over on the right next to my car. I could barley see them because of the trees and brush beside the road. In a short minute I saw seven rather large men in desert camo trotting at ''quick step'' toward me.... ''Oh Shux'', ''Cant out run them and there are tooooooo many to whip in a fair fight''............. There was a rather large Sargent out front counting cadence and the rest of the squad were trotting in 2 x 2 order. Seven Marines in all. I stuck the flag pole in the pavement and came to attention cause I figured this was going to get ''interesting'' real soon. They stopped about five feet in front of me and the Sargent called out ''SQUADDDDDDD FORM UP'' . The squad formed a solid line shoulder to shoulder in front of me and the Sarge shouted ….....””HAND SALUTE THE COLORS''' and they all saluted the colors in unison. Then he said ''HAND SALUTE THE MARINE''.
Oops, I naturally returned their salute and the Sargent stepped forward and extended his hand and I immediately shook hands with him.
''You are a Marine aren't you fella?''
(oh damn, I started to lie but I figured they would be able to tell)
''UUUUhhhhhhhhh, duuuuuah,, With respect Sgt. I was U.S. Navy'',''second generation Navy''. I closed my eyes and waited for the clubbing to death that never came. ''My name is Seajay the sailor man'' U.S. NAVY and damn proud of it''.......I closed my eyes again and waited.........
''We figured you to be a Marine 'cause we havent seen no one else with the ''STONES'' to stand out here and wave Old Glory on Veterans Day.'' ''Hang on a minute please''............. He gathered his squad around him and I could hear them chatting but they were talking low and my hearing just aint what it use to be. They broke ranks and he approached me a second time.
''We have decided to make you an HONORARY MARINE, even though you are a ''stinkin' squid, second generation''.......Give to me your cover.''. I always wear a Tillie hat to protect my ''dome'' from the sun and I ''offed it'' and handed it to him. Again they formed a circle and with much whispering and hand motion they finally handed me back my ''hat''. On the side of the hat was an Eagle, Globe and Anchor pin attached to the hat. I stood there looking at the insignia pinned to the hat and great pride swelled up in my chest.
''That pin has been over to the big sand box, hope you dont mind''..... I told him that this was one of the greatest honors ever bestowed upon me and that I would cherish this day, and remember it, for as long as I lived. Until something like this happens to you, you will have no idea how proud it makes you feel.
He called the squad to order again and on command they all saluted the Honorary Marine. They each in turn saluted me, shook hands with me, told me ''Welcome to the Marine Corp'' ''Semper Fi'' then formed up and trotted off the bridge.
''WOW'',,,,,,,, ''DOUBLE WOW''. I took off my hat and just looked at the pin.
The honking cars brought me back to reality and I resumed my place and waved ''Old Glory'' just a little bit higher and with some Marine gusto.
People honked and waved and saluted the colors and some folks took pix of me and the flag and I was very proud to be a Veteran on this special day that we, as Veterans, are honored by so many that just want to say ''Thank you for your service to this nation''....
I managed to stay there for a couple more hours until my flag started getting really heavy and my hands started to swell pretty bad and I had to give it up.


To all Veterans in all services to this great nation,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THIS GREAT NATION.
May God bless you and keep you safe.


Seajay the ''Honorary Marine''... ''Semper Fi''


This is a late posting because a lady made some Pix and was suppose to send them to me but they never came thru...

No comments:

Post a Comment