Saturday, August 20, 2011

FIX A GFI SWITCH

HOW TO FIX A ''G.F.C.I'' SWITCH


Me and Willa are spending some time down here in Florida this winter and enjoying the ''wonderful weather'' that is above freezing most of the time. We have a small space heater that we use for auxiliary heat and it works good in keeping the chill off the coach.


The other day Willa noticed that the heater had stopped and we had no power on the outlets on the drivers side of the coach. I checked the resets and all was well. I went into the bathroom and the G.F.C.I. Thingie was kicked out. Like any good electrician I pushed on the top button for a ''reset'' and the button popped in and back out. I said ''Shux'' and tried it again and again it popped out. Again I said Shux real loud and started hunting the problem. I unplugged the heater and the toaster and Willa's charger thingie for her electronic book. I looked all over for anything else plugged in and found nothing so I went back to the ''switch''. I pushed on the reset and it popped back out. This time I said ''Shux and Heck'' and took a case knife and pushed the reset real hard. ''Click''... Nothing. Hummmmmm? Has to be a bad GFCI switch. It is ten years old and has kicked out several times so I figured the '' clicker out thingie'' was gone bad. I got on the phone to Lowe's and asked about a 15 amp switch and the guy said they had plenty of them. Me and Earl hopped in the pickup and headed for Vero Beach. We soon found out that the Lowe's was in the vacinity of Vero Beach after twenty miles of driving. We roamed all over heck and finally found Lowe's super store. We went inside and caught the trolly to the electrical department. (this is a really BIG STORE) The attendant said the switches were twelve bucks each or three for twenty eight dollars. I cant resist a bargin so I bough a box of three. We rambled back toward the coach and my cell rang. Willa informed me that the Hot Rod in the water tank had stopped working. I did the typical ''Man'' thing and informed her that it probably was related to the GFCI switch kicking out and not to worry about it. We got back to the coach and on the way in I simply unplugged the Hot Rod water heating element thingie. I went inside and just for the fun of it,,,,,,,,,, I hit the reset one more time and it stayed in and Willa said she had power on the wall plugs again. Huuuummmmmm? I went outside and checked for bad places in the hook up for the Hot Rod thingie. No problems so I pulled the cord out a little and plugged it back in. ''You still got power on the wall plugs baby girl?''.............. ''Yep, working fine''...... I said Shux again.
Now I have three GFCI wall plugs (white) and it is twenty three miles each way to the Lowe's super store down toward Vero Beach. The trolley in the store stops running at seven oclock and it could be raining in the electrical department by now.
Word to the wise.......
If you got a GFCI thingie that will not stay ''clicked in'' see me and I will sell you a replacement (WHITE) real cheap or you can un-plug and un-doo all your AC electrical and push the ''flamin'' reset button and see if it stays in......


This valuable information will cost you ten cents if you use it and you must pay me the next time you see me......... On the other hand.. IF IT DONT WORK FOR YOU …......I NEVER KNEW YOU.......

No comments:

Post a Comment